We've held a start on site event at iconic site in Highbridge
On Friday 27 June we were joined by Sedgemoor District Council and Bovis Homes to celebrate the start of work on an iconic site in Highbridge.
The brownfield site, which had previously been home to a cattle market, a hotel and a quay, will provide 54 new homes for affordable rent and four for shared ownership.
The Homes and Communities Agency have invested a grant of £1.18 million into the development, through Bovis Homes. The Council have contributed £1.48 million and we've invested a further £6.018 million.
Mike Day, our Director of Development and Home Ownership said, ‘We’re really pleased to be able to start the development of these 58 much needed affordable homes.
As well as providing new homes, we’ll also be investing in the local community, by contributing funds to the development of children’s play areas and a five year travel plan to help our new residents and homeowners settle into the area.’
Cllr Andrew Gilling from Sedgemoor District Council said, ‘The Council are delighted to see so much activity on site and to see these new homes being built. Not only will this project provide much needed affordable homes for Burnham and Highbridge, but will also represent the start of the physical regeneration of the wider, former hotel-market parcel of land.
This will have a huge impact on the entry to the town for local people and visitors. It’s hoped that work on the adjacent hotel site will start in the very near future. The investment (from Knightstone, Bovis and the HCA) flowing into these new homes has been critical in helping to tackle this tricky site.’
The first phase of homes are due to be ready for people to move in from December 2014. Completion of the whole development is scheduled for March 2015.